Thursday, February 18, 2010

Making a Boy's Birthday Present

As usual, I was at a loss as to what I would make my nephew for his birthday. It's soooo easy to make things for girls, but not so much when it comes to boys' gifts. Then I saw THIS cute felt book made by Kalleen at Second Street


Though her book was made for a girl, I though it would be easy to use the same idea for a boy. I used only supplies I already had, hence the boring cream pages.

I made mine a little different from the example. I didn't use velcro since I knew this would end up at church frequently and hearing that rrrrriipppp-ing each time an element is moved can be disruptive. I've learned this after making about 10 file folder quiet activities for my girls to take to church using velcro. Now they can't even use them there.
Felt naturally clings together anyway so I just left it out. I made pockets for all of the little pieces to store in.


Instead of dressing up a little girl, I made a boy with 3 changes of clothing. The first outfit is playclothes with a baseball and bat. The second is a church outfit.
The third outfit is my favorite, and I'm sure will be his. It is a knight.

I included a page where he can create a dragon. The body is stitched down leaving all of the limbs and accessories free to be placed wherever he would like.

Since this was not for a toddler, I didn't worry so much about using these googly eyes.

I loved the coloring page that was in the original book. I had a little extra room to fit one more crayon on my page since I made my pages 9"x9".

I added handles to my book to make it easy to carry.


I also bound my book a little different, it was just easier and let's face it, this took a lot of time to make and I was soooooooo done by the time it came to binding the book.
(note: after posting this,I have had a couple of requests to show how I bound this book. I will work on creating a how-to for this)

My youngest wants one of these now but I'm going to have to take a break from this for a while before even thinking about it.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I love yours. I was hoping people would see the potential of converting everything into a boy book. Your detail is amazing. The dragon and knight. Holy cow. My seven year old son would even like this. I KNOW how much time that took. Good Job. I'm interested in how you bound your book. Anything to make these easier i would love to know. I'll do a link back to this in a while if that is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, it turned out super cute. Ages ago I found a site that was different quiet book pages, but I love the knight and the dragon for this one so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness Deb. I love this! You are amazing... once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came to look at your version via the link Kalleen put up on her blog, because I wanted to make a book for boys too. I was thinking dinosaurs, but I LOVE your dragon and dress up boy/knight. You just made the project a lot easier for me! Thank you. It really is super cute and so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just tooooo great! I love working with felt. Great "take along". I've got to link this to my blog for sure. Thanks for sharing.
    mmtncrfts.blogspot.com
    mmtncrfts.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is too cute! I am making a girl one and was wondering how you binded yours together? I am looking for an easier method. Can you please post the directions??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I'm going to have to make one of these for my son. He loves dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this! i have 3 boys that i wanted to adapt the pattern for. would you mind explaining your binding? it looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea! I want to make one for each of my kids. found your blog by way of sugardoodle. This is a great homemade gift idea too! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW great work I came across your site from cheap dollar store creations site and I just love everythign you have done. These will be perfect for my nephews but also for my kindergarteners I teach. Thank you so much for sharing your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love love love this!! i may have to steal this idea!!! you are one talented lady!!!

    xo
    monica

    ReplyDelete
  12. any chance you sell your pattern? or want to share it? i just love this!

    jannet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jannet, unfortunately, I never really made a pattern for this, so I do not have anything to share. Sometimes I just make things on the fly. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete