Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fabric Covered Journals for Valentine's Day

If you are my sibling, STOP READING THIS POST! (It's not that I don't love you, I do, really, but you will spoil all the fun!)

If you are NOT my sibling, read on dear friend.

While strolling through Michael's Craft store, I came upon these sweet journals in the dollar bins. I loved them, but wouldn't you know, I could not find the monograms I needed to give them as Valentine gifts for my sisters. I purchased a handful of them and brought them home to cover them instead.

before- above

after- above

I loved them so much when I was done, I went back and purchased a handful more, just to have as gifts on hand (or maybe for myself as I am a journal junkie).

These were simple to make, and there are about 4 million tutorials (maybe even 5) out there on how to make these, such as HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE so I won't bother you with yet another tutorial, but I will give you a little tip...

With the first one I made, I added enough of a seam allowance to topstitch all around the edge, which also secured the flap that holds the cover in place at the same time. The problem I had was this, I broke 3 needles trying to sew through all of those layers with the top fabric, a thin batting and the back layer, as well as having it folded over again.


Instead, I made the rest of them with a smaller seam allowance and simply whipstitched the layers together by hand. I like how it looks as well, but it does take more time.

With only a few days left, I am now ready to shower the people I love with love!

Up next- another punch needle project for Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I saw these also and wondered if there was something else to do to them to personalize them! Thanks for showing us what you did with them!

    ReplyDelete