Friday, April 1, 2011

Floppy Eared Bunny Purse Pattern- Free!

Spring is still taunting me here in Utah. Today we had a good 8" of snow in my yard when I awoke. Someone forgot to tell Mother Nature that Spring officially began on the 20th of last month. At least I had a beautiful day this week to hurry and snap some pictures of this darling little purse so I could share it with you.



This sweet thing is for my youngest daughter. I'm going to use it for her Easter basket. I would like to mention that I am by no means the best at writing instructions. I truly hope this tutorial will give you sufficient directions for you to successfully make this on your own. If you find it lacking and have some great advice you can share, please do so in the comments below to help others. If you want to complain about my method of constructing this, please take your ball and go home. I don't want to play. :)

To download the pattern, click HERE.
note: this pattern is for personal use only and is not to be used to make and sell. Thanks!

supplies needed:
cotton print for lining
super duper fuzzy white fabric
piping
heavy interfacing
2 black buttons
tiny scrap of pink felt
ribbon for bows

Make sure to read all directions before beginning as I cut some of my pieces out a little different.
Seam allowances are the width of my presser foot- just under 3/8".

Begin by cutting your fabric for the the body of your bag and pocket. DON'T cut out the ears yet! Cut a strip of white fabric and of lining fabric 20"x 2 1/2" for the gusset. Iron on your interfacing to the back of the white fabric pieces. This fabric stretches a bit and this not only helps to give it some body, but it stabilizes it as well so it is easier to work with.

Sew your buttons on and the scrap piece of pink felt for the nose as shown in the photo below.
Add piping to the edge of the front and back pieces of the bag as shown below. Clip the corners to turn and overlap the edges.
Next, pin the gusset strip to the edge of one of your main body pieces, clipping curves to fit.


Turn over and stitch along first stitching line. Repeat for the second side.

To make the pocket, pin right sides together and sew around edge, leaving a small opening for turning along one side. Turn right side out and press smooth. Pin pocket on one piece of the main body of the lining fabric. Top stitch in place, leaving the top open.
Sew the main purse body together just like the outer fabric is done, omitting the piping. Leave a 4" opening in the bottom of the lining for turning, as shown below.

Now for the ears (straps). Cut out the lining fabric pieces only. Place them right sides together on an uncut piece of the outer fabric (I did not add interfacing to these pieces). Pin around the edge and stitch together, leaving the short bottom open for turning. I have seams in my pink fabric since I cut mine then decided it needed to be longer, so I pieced some extra length on. The pattern has already been adjusted to reflect the extra length.

After sewing around the edge, trim off the excess white fabric and turn the ears right side out. Carefully press on the lining side of the ears.

Pleat the bottom, open edge of the ears to be the same size as the finished gusset measurement. Close to 2"

With the white, outer fabric inside out on the main bag piece, pin your straps inside the back with the lining facing UP on the gusset. If you desire to add some ribbon pieces to tie the bag closed with, now is the time to do that. Center an 8" length of pink or white ribbon over the face on one side, and also directly opposite on the other side. Pin in place.

Place the lining, right side out, INSIDE the main piece. Pin along the top and sew together along your first stitching line when you added your piping in the beginning.

Turn your bag right side out through the opening in the lining.

Now you can pin your opening closed and whipstitch it. Stuff the lining back in your back and top stitch around the top of the bag.

To form the handle, gather the ears about 7" from each tip.

Overlap them where they are gathered and hand sew them together. I also wrapped my thread around them both a couple of times to secure.


To get both ears on the top, bring the bottom one around the front and lay it on top.

Take a couple of stitches to hold it in place.

Add a ribbon bow to the top if you so desire and you are finished! Super Stinking CUTE!! If you don't have any little girls to sew for, just find one off the street- I'm sure she'd be happy to have you make one for her.


After making this bunny purse, I began another spring inspired project involving the bunny. It is already turning out so darling that I hope to be able to share it with you soon.

12 comments:

  1. This is soooo cute!!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-floppy-eared-bunny-purse/2011/04/04/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious little purse! So very, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH HOW CUTE!!! I plan on making two of them for my granddaughters and downsizing the pattern for the AG dolls. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is absolutely adorable!!! linking to my blog at http://mygooseygoosey.blogspot.com/

    thank you so much for taking the time to take such detailed photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ADORABLE!! Love how the ears are the handle. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stinkin' cute!!! I love it! I found this through One Pretty Thing and I think it's darling. Thank you for sharing! I'm going to follow your blog...:o)

    Gretchen @ The Proverbs Thirty-HUH?! Woman
    proverbsthirtyhuh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, that is awesome! And what a great tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing such a sweet little project. I'd love to have you share them at my For the Kids Friday Link Party (still open). SO cute!

    http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-kids-friday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just adore this!!! I have featured it at my link party this week! Stop by and grab a button!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at my For the Kids Friday Link Party! I appreciate you stopping by. This week's link party is now posted, so stop on by! I'd love to see what you have to share this week!

    Hope to see you soon!
    :)rachel @ http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nagyon szépen köszönöm a táska leírást. A barátnőm fia nagyon fog neki örülni.
    Egy magyarországi olvasó

    ReplyDelete
  10. so very cute!!

    I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

    doro K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just finished making this for a friend's little girl. So excited! It turned out looking great! Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete